Everybody has habits, a few of them not so pleasurable. The good thing regarding behaviors is that they can be altered in just 2 weeks of strict adherence. For example, are you a nail biter, a pen remote control, YouTube binge-watcher? Even if it’s practice does not suggest it can not be broken! It’s time to kick your bad habits to the curb!
- The first step to identifying a bad habit is recognizing the habit when it is happening, and what happened directly before it. Usually, bad habits are a result of something else- there’s usually a reason why this habit manifested. Perhaps you click your pen constantly after being given a deadline, or you bite your nails when you’re in a tough situation. Identifying these triggers is the key to eliminating the habit in its entirety!
2. Now that you have established when your habit is taking place and recognized the trigger, aim to redirect that habit to something rewarding. For instance, if you are a nail biter when you’re given strict deadlines, grab ahold of your stress ball and give that a few squeezes. Afterward, immediately redirect your attention to making a detailed list of how you will accomplish the given task within the deadline to avoid the anxiety associated with strict timelines.
3. Make small changes to your routine to further nip your bad habits. If you overeat while binge-watching the evening news, try turning off your television for dinner time and eat at the dining table. Combating a bad habit is as easy as having healthy snack alternatives available rather than chips, or having a variety of stress management tools within reach.
When you feel the need to resort back to a bad habit, remember to not suppress your thoughts, but rather, acknowledge the habit you are dissolving from your routine and proceed to redirect that habit! After a week of not biting your nails or binge eating during the evening news, reward yourself with a spa day, manicure, or even an ice cream treat! You deserve it!
FREE BONUS: 12 Healthy Habits To Boost Your Mind, Body, and Soul
Ready to take a fresh new lease on life? Let’s do it. Grab your FREE guide & experience all of this:
- A renewed mind, full of positivity and excitement
- A brand-new body, full of energy and happiness
- A happy, fulfilled soul ready to take on the world!